What is hardship assistance and how can it help me?
Sometimes the unexpected happens, like losing your job, a medical condition, a death in the family or a relationship ending. You may then find that you can’t make your repayments.
Finding it hard to make repayments?
Hardship assistance can help give you some breathing room during this time. If you qualify for hardship assistance, there are a number of ways that we may be able to help with your home loan, personal loan or credit card repayments such as:
- Reducing your loan repayment amounts
- Restructuring your loan
- Taking a payment holiday.
In certain circumstances we may also be able to offer alternative financial help to customers who do not qualify for hardship assistance. Our financial solutions team can talk you through the options available.
Before considering hardship assistance there are some other options to consider:
- If you have insurance (e.g. crisis cover, redundancy cover, etc), you could consider making a claim first
- If you’re having difficulty repaying your loan because your partner has passed away and was a joint borrower, first you’ll need to notify the deceased estate team on 0800 756 872 (8am-5.30pm Monday-Thursday, 8am-5pm Friday). Then talk to us about applying for financial hardship
- We can also talk to you about using your KiwiSaver to manage unexpected expenses if appropriate.
Impact of receiving hardship assistance
As part of receiving hardship assistance we may need to ask for your credit report from a credit bureau, and report back to them that you’ve received hardship assistance from us. This means that if a credit check is needed for certain transactions, like making a hire purchase or taking out a new rental agreement, it could be harder for you to meet the requirements needed. But don’t worry, your balance and overdue amounts will not be disclosed. Your credit report will only show that you’ve been receiving hardship assistance instead.
We understand that this can be a difficult decision. If you’d like to talk to us further about this impact in order to find the best option for you, just give our helpful financial solutions team a call on 0800 772 771 between 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Any time from 8am – 6pm Monday-Friday.
Visit us in branch
Our branches are here to help you too.
Apply in Westpac One®
If you're a Westpac One® Online Banking customer apply there. Our financial solutions team can review your application faster.
It’s important to contact us sooner, rather than later. If do not have access to Westpac One or are not a Westpac customer yet, you can apply by printing or filling out our online form.