How to apply for a home loan.
Feel confident as you move towards buying your new home with our step by step process and guides.
When to apply.
You should consider applying for a home loan at the start of your house hunting journey. A conditional approval1 will give you an understanding of how much you can afford to borrow to buy your new home. Knowing this will keep your house hunt focused and realistic.
What you need to apply.
You will need this information to hand:
- Your personal information: name, address, date of birth
- Identification if you're a new Westpac customer such as a passport or driver's licence
- Amount you want to borrow
- What the loan is for: to buy a home, build a new home or buy an investment property
- Your annual income, including any overtime and commission
- Your debts and expenses, such as credit cards and other loans
- Details of the type of home you're looking to purchase.
If you apply online we’ll aim to get back to you within 3 to 5 business days to take you through the next steps towards conditional approval. This includes confirmation of the details in your application and assessment against responsible lending criteria.
Note, if there's a second applicant they will also need to agree to the application and a credit check.
Start house hunting!
Ways to apply.
Meet with an expert
Our Mobile Mortgage Managers can come to you, when it suits you best.
Get started online
Apply online and we’ll aim to get back to you within 3 to 5 business days.
Talk to us
Call us from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday.
Make an appointment to talk to a home loan expert in branch.
The next steps.
Once you have a conditional approval there are a few key steps you'll need to take:
- Find a house that you could call home
- Do your homework: get builder and council reports, and a valuation
- Arrange for a solicitor to handle the legal and financial details
- Make your offer (this can be conditional or unconditional), or bid at auction. You can learn more about the ways to buy here
- Check the details and sign the sale and purchase agreement
- Talk to us about the best way to structure for your new home loan, once your offer has gone unconditional, or you've bought at auction
- Sign the home loan documents with your solicitor. Learn more about this step here
- Book the movers
- Pay the balance at settlement and move into your new home!
- Check the details of your first home loan repayment. It's easiest to make sure your repayment dates coincide with your pay day.
You might also be interested in.
Things you should know.
1 Conditional approval requires a credit check, confirmation of the details provided in your application and responsible lending inquiries. Other conditions may also apply depending on the nature of your application.
Westpac's home loan lending criteria, terms and conditions apply. An establishment fee may apply. A low equity margin may apply.
Documents and fees
See the detailed terms and conditions, and fees, for our home loans:
- Choices Home Loan Summary - Sample
- Choices Everyday Home Loan Summary - Sample
- Choices Home Loan Terms and Conditions
- Choices Everyday Home Loan Terms and Conditions
- Transaction and Service Fees
- Westpac General Terms and Conditions