Home buying costs to consider.
Buying a home is a big commitment that comes with some new expenses. Make sure you factor in all potential costs.
Costs to consider.
When you're budgeting to buy a home, remember to factor in all expenses so you get a true picture of the cost. Your lender might ask for a valuation, building or engineer's report as part of your loan agreement and some homes come with extra costs that might not be obvious.
- Legal fees will include your conveyancer's time. They will vary depending on the complexity of your purchase
- There are also disbursement costs, which include land transfer fees and the LIM (Land Information Memorandum) report.
- You could be required to provide a full registered valuation report or a QV E-Valuer report.
Building and engineer's reports
- You might be asked to pay for either a building surveyor's report or an engineer's report as part of your home loan approval process.
Home loan repayments
- This is one of your biggest long term financial commitments. So it's important to be informed. Compare different home loans and repayment options
- Use our online calculators to work out how much you can afford to borrow, and what your repayments might be.
Your home is likely to be the most valuable asset you own and home insurance is often a requirement of your home loan.
Before buying a house, it's worthwhile talking to an insurer to see if there could be any issues with obtaining insurance cover for the house you are interested in
You could also get a quote to understand how much it would cost you to insure the house
It's a good idea to organise your insurance when your offer on a house is accepted so you can relax knowing that your cover is in place when you settle. Learn more about your insurance options.
- Older homes can be expensive to heat and insulate and costly to renovate. They may contain asbestos or lead-based paints which need to be removed by a specialist contractor
- New homes often need finishing touches like carpets, curtains and landscaping and the costs can add up quickly. Do check the quality of the building materials and finish as any shortcuts during the build could cost you money in the future
- Apartments are often part of a body corporate that all owners belong to and you pay a levy to cover building running costs and maintenance. Ask about the levy, the rules of the complex and what you can do with your apartment, as this could affect the value of your investment. Check the sound proofing and build quality.
Real estate agent
- The seller pays the real estate agent a fee. As a buyer, you won't be charged anything by the agent.
Get in touch.
Meet with an expert
Our Mobile Mortgage Managers can come to you, when it suits you best.
Talk to us
Call us from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday.
Make an appointment to talk to a home loan expert in branch.
Our home loan online application form is temporarily unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience. You can apply for a home loan through a Mobile Mortgage Manager, by calling us on 0800 177 277, or making an appointment at your nearest branch. Existing customers can also apply via Westpac One® online banking.
Things you should know.
Westpac's home loan lending criteria, terms and conditions. apply. An establishment fee may apply. A low equity margin may apply.
Westpac Home, Contents, Vehicle and Boat insurance cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac") and underwritten by IAG New Zealand Limited ("IAG"). None of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141, Westpac, or any member of the Westpac group of companies guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by IAG. Westpac will receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of IAG policies. See IAG's financial strength rating.
The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF), or obtained by calling 0800 809 378. The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.
Any payment is subject to your claim being accepted.