Location, location, location.
It's the golden rule of real estate. Decide on the location and you'll be closer to finding a place to call home.
Find an area that feels like home.
Few first home buyers (or even second and third home buyers) can afford to live in their favourite neighbourhood. With these tips and some research, you'll be able to pinpoint an area that suits you.
Buying in a good area
"Buy the worst house in the best street" is sensible advice. Being in a good area can positively affect the value of your house.
You could even improve the value of your property more by doing it up to the same standard as others in your street. Before you go ahead, have a think about whether you'll have the time and energy to renovate and if the money you spend is worth it.
Tips for finding a good area
- Talk to family and friends about the areas they live in
- Ask a real estate agent or valuer about recent sales and price trends
- Aim for an area with good facilities, such as transport, shops, schools and cafes
- Make sure you consider which facilities are really going to add value to your lifestyle
- In more established areas, look for locations where you can see places are being renovated and facilities are well cared for
- In newer suburbs, positive signs to look out for include a variety of home styles, with planting and landscaping
- Many people like sun, shelter, privacy, views and flat land. Areas that offer most of these attributes usually sell well
- Check the zoning of the area with your local authority and find out whether there are any changes planned. If the area is zoned commercial or for high-density housing your home could be surrounded by businesses or multi-storey apartments in the future
- Have a chat with your local Mobile Mortgage Manager about their experiences.
Follow the local news
Once you've decided on an area you like, keep up with what's happening in the neighbourhood. See what places are selling for, if prices are on the rise and whether homes are being snapped up or taking a while to sell.
Go to open homes and auctions, walk around the streets to get a feel for the area, drop into local cafes, talk to real estate agents. Then, when you spot a place you like, you can make a confident offer.
Get in touch.
Meet with an expert
Our Mobile Mortgage Managers can come to you, when it suits you best.
Talk to us
Call us from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday.
Make an appointment to talk to a home loan expert in branch.
Things you should know.
Westpac's home loan lending criteria, terms and conditions apply. An establishment fee may apply. A low equity margin may apply.