Loss of a loved one.
We understand that suffering a loss can be a very difficult time. There are lots of things to sort out which we can help with.
Dealing with bereavement and the management of a deceased estate – here's what you need to know and what to have with you. We've also compiled a list of other organisations to notify.
Proof of death:
When someone passes away, you will need to provide us with 'proof of death'. This is a formal notification to the Bank.
Proof of death includes any one of these documents:
- Original or certified death certificate (this is preferred)
- Original or certified doctor's medical certificate of cause of death
- Original or certified coroners certificate of findings
- Estate solicitor's letter.
You should also start gathering the following documents:
- Details of one account number the deceased held, if possible (even if there are multiple accounts)
- Your proof of identification.
Summary of requirements to finalise an Estate
|Total value of accounts held at Westpac (at date of death or current)||Requirements||How|
Documents and forms.
When dealing with the estate of a Westpac customer you may be asked to complete various forms – depending on the type of products that are in the estate. These include:
- Small Estate Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form (if the Estate is less than $3,000 and Probate or Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
- Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form (if the Estate is less than $15,000 and Probate or Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
- Executors Letter of Instruction to Westpac New Zealand Limited
- Westpac KiwiSaver Scheme Deceased Estate Withdrawal Form
- Managed Funds Transactions Request Form
- Retirement Plan Withdrawal Request
- Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form for the release of a safe custody box or envelope (when Probate of Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
- Declaration of Estate Insolvency Form.
Choose how to notify us.
The Westpac estate management team can be contacted Monday–Thursday 8am-5.30pm, Friday 8am- 5pm. If you're calling from overseas, please call +64 9 375 9926. (toll charges apply for overseas calls).
Using myTrove Notify
myTrove Notify is an external service provider working with the Department of Internal Affairs, who will automatically verify a person’s passing with Births Deaths and Marriages.
Support team email
You can also contact the team via email.
Our branches are here to help you too.