Loss of a loved one.
We understand that suffering a loss can be a very difficult time. There are lots of things to sort out which we can help with.
Dealing with bereavement and the management of a deceased estate – here's what you need to know and what to have with you. We've also compiled a list of other organisations to notify.
Proof of death:
When someone passes away, you will need to provide us with 'proof of death'. This is a formal notification to the Bank.
Proof of death includes any one of these documents:
- Original or certified death certificate (this is preferred)
- Original or certified doctor's medical certificate of cause of death
- Original or certified coroners certificate of findings
- Estate solicitor's letter.
You should also start gathering the following documents:
- Details of one account number the deceased held, if possible (even if there are multiple accounts)
- Your proof of identification.
Summary of requirements to finalise an Estate
|Total value of accounts held at Westpac (at date of death or current)||Requirements||How|
Documents and forms.
When dealing with the estate of a Westpac customer you may be asked to complete various forms – depending on the type of products that are in the estate. These include:
- Small Estate Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form (if the Estate is less than $3,000 and Probate or Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
- Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form (if the Estate is less than $15,000 and Probate or Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
- Executors Letter of Instruction to Westpac New Zealand Limited
- Westpac KiwiSaver Scheme Deceased Estate Withdrawal Form
- Managed Funds Transactions Request Form
- Retirement Plan Withdrawal Request
Declaration and Claim/Indemnity Form for the release of a safe custody box or envelope (when Probate of Letters of Administration are not being applied for)
Choose how to notify us.
The Westpac estate management team can be contacted Monday–Thursday 8am-5.30pm, Friday 8am- 5pm. If you're calling from overseas, please call +64 9 375 9926. (toll charges apply for overseas calls).
Using myTrove Notify
myTrove Notify is an external service provider working with the Department of Internal Affairs, who will automatically verify a person’s passing with Births Deaths and Marriages.
Support team email
You can also contact the team via email.
Our branches are here to help you too.