Manage your contributions

Want to see your savings grow faster? If you earn a salary or wage, you decide on how much you contribute (it must be at least 3%). If you're self-employed or not working, top up when you like. You could also be entitled to government contributions every year. 

Employee contributions

If you’re earning a salary or wage, you’ll need to choose whether to contribute 3%, 4% or 8% of your before-tax salary or wages to your Westpac KiwiSaver Scheme account. The default rate is 3%.

To change your contribution rate, let your employer know in writing. Or, complete a KiwiSaver deduction form (KS2) from and give it to your employer.

Voluntary payments

Whether you’re employed, self-employed or not working, you can make voluntary contributions whenever you like.

Simply log in to online banking then click "Pay & Transfer" and enter the required fields. Alternatively, download this form and post it to us or drop it into your local Westpac branch.

Make contributions with hotpoints®

If you earn hotpoints® on your Westpac credit card, they can be converted into contributions to your Westpac KiwiSaver Scheme.

Taking a contributions holiday

If you’re making contributions from your salary or wages, you can apply to Inland Revenue to take a contributions holiday (of between 3 months and 5 years). Stopping your contributions temporarily will have an impact on your long term savings, so it’s important to consider this before going ahead.

A contributions holiday may be granted by Inland Revenue if:

  • you've been a KiwiSaver member for 12 months or more; or
  • you’ve been a member for less than 12 months and you’re suffering or likely to suffer financial hardship.*

There’s no limit to the number of contributions holidays you can apply for.

While you’re taking a contributions holiday, your employer won’t need to make compulsory employer contributions. You can still make voluntary contributions if you wish.