Accept cards in-store
Ready to make payment acceptance quick and simple in your business? Westpac supports a wide range of vendors with EFTPOS terminals so you can accept EFTPOS, debit and credit card transactions the way you want. We’ll ensure your terminal meets your requirements and budget – with flexible options like the ability to accept contactless payments, take payments over the phone, add tipping or surcharges and more.
More benefits of accepting cards
With an EFTPOS terminal you have the capability to:
- Accept all major New Zealand EFTPOS, debit and credit cards, as well as UnionPay and international credit and debit cards.
- Keep up with your customers’ payment technologies, such as Westpac Pay, or other digital wallets.
- View all transaction information online using Paymark™ Transtrack.
- See how your business is performing against your local market with subscription-based Paymark Insights Reporting.
- Access help-desk support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
And if you're a member of one of our selected Industry Associations, we can save you money on your credit card processing with special deals. Find out more about Westpac's Association packages.
Choosing your set-up
There are two elements to accepting cards with an EFTPOS terminal: the physical EFTPOS terminal itself, and the merchant facility.The way your terminal is configured to accept payments is up to you.
To choose your EFTPOS terminal, we’ll put you in touch directly with a vendor, so you can pick a terminal and a leasing plan. We have teamed up with New Zealand’s largest terminal provider, EFTPOS NZ, but we support all other major terminal providers too – so the choice of terminal vendor is also up to you.
Meanwhile, our key role is to make sure you have the correct setup of your merchant facility so you can take payments the way you want.
For example, here are some options for your terminal configuration:
Accept EFTPOS and debit cards only
- EFTPOS card transactions are free.
- Debit card transactions are free if the card is swiped or inserted and used with a PIN (contactless payments not available)
- You don’t accept credit cards.
Accept EFTPOS, debit and credit cards
- You accept all types of cards – EFTPOS, debit and credit cards.
- Transactions where the customer has selected cheque or savings (as opposed to credit) will be free.
- Within this option, you can choose to have contactless payments turned on, or turned off.
- Credit card and contactless debit transactions will be charged a merchant service fee.
Electronic Offline Vouchers (EOV).
An EOV allows your business to continue processing transactions, even when connectivity to the payment network is lost. Transactions are processed through your EFTPOS terminal as usual, then, when connectivity returns, uploaded to the network for approval. An EOV session ends when the network returns, or after 36 hours – whichever comes first.
Some things to know about EOV*
- Cash out transactions are NOT available via EOV. For example, no purchase + cash or cash out only transactions
- EOV is available for domestic EFTPOS cards and any scheme credit or debit cards e.g. VISA®, Mastercard®
- Transactions are capped at $300, and there is a maximum of 99 transactions in an EOV session
- Only one transaction per card per terminal per EOV session
You can also choose to add these functions:
To accept additional card types, such as American Express, UnionPay, Q Card and Prezzy Cards.
The ability to process payments when your customer is not with you – such as when you take a phone order. This is often referred to as Card not Present.
The ability to add surcharges – this is an additional charge your customer pays to cover reasonable costs of the card transaction.
Tipping – this allows you to accept customer tips on a card payment, and is often used in the hospitality industry.
Pre-authorisation – this allows your terminal to complete a transaction at a later time. It’s often used by businesses such as car rentals, hotels, petrol stations, and in the hospitality industry for bar tabs.
More about accepting contactless payments
Having contactless payments as an option for your customers brings a number of benefits to your business:
1. You can serve more customers more quickly – great for those busy times.
2. With the contactless function turned on, customers can pay with new technologies such as mobile wallets.
3. Customers are given choice – if they don’t want to make a contactless payment, they can still swipe or insert their card and enter their PIN instead.
Frequently asked questions
To choose your EFTPOS terminal we’ll put you in touch directly with a vendor, so you can pick a terminal and a leasing plan. We have teamed up with New Zealand’s largest terminal provider, EFTPOS NZ, and we support all other major terminal providers too.
Because terminals are provided by a third party vendor, you will pay them directly for the lease of your EFTPOS terminal. This can be a good option, as the vendor will also be responsible for upgrading your terminal software when necessary. A lease often covers rental of the terminal, support and upgrades.
Most EFTPOS terminals have the ability to accept contactless payments. Just call our team on 0800 888 066 and we’ll arrange for contactless to be turned on, or turned off.
There are three key types of fees to pay in order to accept card transactions: the cost for leasing your EFTPOS terminal from a vendor, a monthly network fee and merchant service fees – these are fees you pay on certain kinds of transactions. See the Accept cards in-store page for more information
Call us on 0800 888 066 to tell us what you need, including functions like accepting contactless, tipping, surcharges and more.
Fill out the Payment Solutions enquiry form with your needs, and someone in our merchant services team will call you back. In the meantime, here’s how you can learn more about accepting cards in-store.