Additional options for landlords

If you are a landlord, do you want to extend cover for landlord’s chattels or to protect against tenants who cause deliberate damage? You can. These are optional benefits you can add to your Westpac Home Cover for an additional premium.

How to protect your rental property

Adding landlord insurance is easy. You begin with Westpac Home Cover. This insures your rental property for accidental damage so you can repair or rebuild it, up to your sum insured. It also covers you for rent you might lose if your house is uninhabitable – up to $20,000 for up to 12 months. 
You can then choose to add one or more of these optional benefits for landlords:

 Umbrella Dollar

Option 1: Extended cover for chattels – up to $15,000

Protects your chattels (e.g. appliances, furniture, blinds and drapes) for accidental damage for up to $15,000.


Option 2: Deliberate damage protection

Insures your house and chattels against deliberate damage or theft by a tenant. It also covers loss of rent if your house is uninhabitable as a result, for up to 12 months or a maximum of $25,000.


Option 3: Rent protection

The option for landlords to add the Rent Protection benefit to new Home Cover policies or to add it to existing Home Cover policies is not currently available. If you’re an existing Home Cover policyholder with the Rent Protection benefit shown on your policy schedule, your cover is unaffected.

Read your policy

You’ll find more details about your cover, including conditions, exclusions and limits that apply, in the Home Cover section of the Westpac Home, Content, Vehicle and Boat Cover policy. Download here. Do read it carefully, so you fully understand your cover.

Add landlord insurance to Westpac Home Cover 

With our 30-Day Free look, if you decide the cover is not for you during the free look period, just notify us and we’ll refund any premiums you’ve paid.

You might also like these options:

2x status points


2x status points


2x status points

Vehicle & Car

Westpac Home, Contents, Vehicle and Boat insurance cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac") and underwritten by IAG New Zealand Limited (”IAG”). None of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141, Westpac, or any member of the Westpac group of companies guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by IAG. Westpac will receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of IAG policies. For IAG's financial strength rating please click here.

The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF), or obtained by calling 0800 809 378. The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.

Any claim payment is subject to your claim being accepted.