Make a claim on home & contents insurance.
Follow these steps to make a claim on your home (including landlord) and contents insurance policy.
How to make a claim.
(This link will take you to our underwriter, IAG’s claim form).
It'll only take about 7-10 minutes. The information will be reviewed as quickly as possible and you’ll get a response within two business days to advise next steps.
Contact us for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If overseas, call +64 9 308 1101
If you’re burgled or your property or belongings are lost or damaged.
- Contact fire, police & emergency services on 111 for events where there is an immediate threat to property or life, such as fire, flood and storm emergencies, or where offenders are still present or have just left your property.
- Try and take precautions if it’s possible, to prevent any further loss or damage to your property. Make sure you and your property are safe.
- If costs are involved, give us a call first, unless it’s an emergency – in that case just keep any receipts you may be able to claim for a reimbursement.
- Contact the police on 105 for non-emergency events such as malicious damage, or theft that has already occurred with no sign of immediate threat. They’ll give you an incident number which you’ll need to make a claim.
- Contact us if you require emergency repairs or urgent assistance because:
- There is no power or running water to the property.
- Local authorities will not allow you to access or live in your home.
- You're unable to close or lock all windows and doors.
- There is water damage to your home or contents.
- There is an opening in the building which allows the elements in (e.g. a hole in the roof).
- Record any damage no matter how small before beginning clean-up or removing debris. Take photos as proof.
- Keep hold of any receipts, photos, valuations, serial numbers, any other information such as warranties. You may need them at claim time.
Talk to us before admitting fault
- If your claim involves damage to someone else’s property, or injury to someone else, don’t admit you’re at fault. Simply say you need to speak to your insurer and call us on 0800 309 378.
Natural disaster claims.
If your home has suffered damage from a natural disaster you should contact the Earthquake Commission (EQC) directly to lodge a claim.
Call the Earthquake Commission on 0800 326 243 or you can lodge a claim online.
You also need to contact us and we can assist you with lodging a claim over the phone.
To speed up your claim process, it is advisable to have your Westpac insurance policy number ready for the EQC team if you have it. If you’re unable to provide this, don’t worry, they will still be able help you.
When you call EQC, they will ask you who you are insured with and for your idea of the extent of damage.
They will then let you know whether someone will call to help with your claim, or whether you can go ahead and get emergency repairs done. They will follow this up in writing.
Remember that you have six months to lodge a claim with the EQC, and the most important thing at this time is to ensure you and your family are safe and secure.
If you are unsure about your insurance cover at all, please call us and we will be able to check these details for you.
Important contact details
Westpac Claims Team: 0800 309 378
EQC 0800 326 243 or www.eqc.govt.nz
How does the claims process work?
• What damage or loss has occurred.
• When it happened.
• What caused it or how it happened.
• Steps you’ve taken to prevent further damage.
• What damage or loss has occurred to your belongings.
• When, where and how it happened.
• Steps you’ve taken to prevent further damage or loss.
• If there’s any outstanding finance on the items you’re claiming for.
• Age of the item or items you're claiming for.
• Approximately when and where you bought them from.
• Receipts, photos, valuations, serial numbers, any other information such as warranties.
Questions you might have.
Things you should know.
¹ Access to the Cordell Sum Sure Calculator is provided for your assistance only. The Cordell Sum Sure calculator takes the answers you input (or confirm, as applicable) and analyses them against construction industry data collated by CoreLogic to generate an estimated reconstruction cost of the improvements on your property. Use of the Cordell Sum Sure calculator and any estimated reconstruction cost provided by it may not be appropriate for you and you will need to assess this given your knowledge of your property. A number of qualifications apply to the estimated reconstruction cost and a full set of these are contained in the terms relating to this website. Neither IAG New Zealand Limited (“IAG”) (or a relevant related company, as the case may be) nor Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 nor Westpac New Zealand Limited (“Westpac”) (or a relevant related company, as the case may be) take any responsibility for the estimated costs provided by CoreLogic nor any liability for the accuracy of or reliance upon or use of, the costs. Access to Cordell’s calculator is provided for your assistance only. Westpac accepts no responsibility for the availability of the Cordell Sum Sure calculator.
Westpac Home, Contents, Vehicle and Boat insurance cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited (“Westpac”) and underwritten by IAG New Zealand Limited (“IAG”). None of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141, Westpac, or any member of the Westpac group of companies guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by IAG. Westpac will receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of IAG policies. For IAG's financial strength rating please click here.
The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF), or obtained by calling 0800 809 378. The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.
Any payment is subject to your claim being accepted.