How to dispute a credit or debit Mastercard® transaction.
If you have identified a transaction on your Westpac credit or debit Mastercard statement or online banking and you don't think it should be there, here's a guide to help you understand what to do next.
It's important to understand, using the lists below, what type of transactions can and can't be disputed. If your transaction can be disputed, scroll down further to find a three step process to follow.
As mentioned in the three step process, it's always best to contact the merchant directly prior to contacting Westpac. If for any reason you are unable to resolve your dispute with them, that’s when we can step in to help you.
Please note for us to help investigate a disputed transaction you need to submit the dispute within 30 days from the date at the top of your credit or debit Mastercard statement (for example, if transaction you are disputing took place on 1st June, this transaction will show on your July statement - you have 30 days from the date of that statement to dispute the transaction).
You can dispute when:
- You've ordered something (i.e. products or services) and haven't received them
- What you received is different from what you ordered, or it's damaged in some way
- You've received counterfeit goods
- You've contacted a merchant to cancel a subscription, but you're still being charged
- The charge on your statement is not what you agreed to pay, or it's different from the amount on the receipt/invoice
- You've been promised a credit or refund but haven't received it
- You've been charged twice
- You paid for something another way, but it has also been charged to your credit or debit card
- The transaction has appeared twice.
However, before you dispute a credit or debit Mastercard transaction with us we recommend you talk to the merchant first, and they may be able to clear things up more quickly.
You can’t dispute when:
- You've changed your mind about the purchase
- You're not happy with the quality of service
- You've found the same item/service cheaper elsewhere
- Recurring subscriptions that have not been cancelled
- You have a billing dispute with the merchant
- You have a contract-related dispute with the merchant
- You have a software download-related dispute with the merchant.
- If you have a transaction that you don’t recognise but you do recognise the merchant, please reach out to the merchant directly.
- There are charges on your account that you didn't authorise, please call our Card Services team on 0800 888 111, 7am to 11pm, 7 days a week +64 9 912 8000 from overseas (international toll charges apply).
Step 1 - Double check your statement
There's a good chance that an odd-looking transaction will be nothing to worry about. We recommend you do a little research - merchants can use different names when they bill you, or use another company to do the billing for them. That's why we always recommend the best next step is to contact them directly.
If the transaction is listed as a 'pending transaction' in your online transaction list there could be a couple of reasons for this, find out more here. It’s helpful to keep your receipts to use as a point of reference, they can often jog your memory.
Understanding transactions & statements
Step 2 - Contact the merchant
Whether it's the wrong charge, an order that hasn't arrived or a cancelled subscription you are still being charged for, the simplest and fastest way to get it resolved is usually to contact the merchant directly. To keep things moving, it's a good idea to include any receipts or documents with your query.
Step 3 - Contact Westpac
If the merchant is unable to help, get in touch with us using your preferred contact method (below) and we'll be happy to help investigate your disputed transaction. Please note, disputes must be submitted within 30 days of the date at the top of your credit or debit card statement. It can take up to 30 days to reach a final outcome.
Contact us to help
- Online - Complete the Mastercard® Debit or Credit Card Disputes online form online.
- Phone - Call our Card Services team on 0800 888 111 weekdays between 7am and 8pm and 8am to 5pm on weekends and public holidays, or from overseas call +64 9 912 8000 (international toll charges apply). Please note that after 8pm on weekdays and 5pm on weekends, Card Services are only available for reduced services which include: emergency card/cash requests or card fraud transaction verification
- Branch - Visit your nearest branch.
Things you should know.
This page is provided for information purposes only. If the transaction is found to be valid, you will be required to make payment.
For more information, refer to the Conditions of Use for the applicable card which will apply.
Mastercard® is a registered trademark and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.