Our people & communities.
Me mahi tahi tātou mo te oranga o te katoa – working together as one for the well-being of everyone.
As a large New Zealand business and employer, we touch the lives of more than 1.3 million customers, 4,500 employees and communities nationwide. We’re proud to have been part of New Zealanders’ lives for more than 150 years. Our aim is to continue using our position to care for and build resilience in our people and communities, helping create a society where everyone thrives.
We want to provide a safe, welcoming and supportive environment for our people to succeed, regardless of their background.
- Gender equality - Leading conversations about gender equity and helping create an environment for women to excel.
- Te kākano - Driving community-led initiatives that support the growth of whānau, Māori and iwi businesses.
- Flexible working - Our Leave Loudly policy helps employees to balance work and other important commitments that matter to them.
- Rainbow Tick - Accredited since 2014, we're creating a safe and inclusive environment for our LGBTTQI+ employees and customers.
- Accessibility Tick - Committed to becoming more accessible and inclusive of customers and employees with disabilities.
- Te Waiu O Aotearoa Trust Scholarship - A scholarship to help tertiary Māori students into the banking and finance industry, as well as general business.
We support our employees to give back to the communities in which we live, work and play.
- Payroll giving - Our employees’ personal donations to registered charities are matched dollar for dollar.
- Volunteering - One paid day per year for employees to support a charity or social enterprise they care about.
For us, a sustainable supply chain is about using our purchasing power for good and making a positive impact on our communities and environment. This starts with getting the basics right and supporting local businesses wherever we can.
Westpac NZ was the first New Zealand bank to be accredited as a Living Wage employer. Being Living Wage accredited means workers like cleaners and security guards are paid a Living Wage even if they don’t work directly for us. All of our suppliers are on immediate payment terms, so they are paid as soon as we receive an invoice. In addition, we consider sustainability impacts like climate change, modern slavery, and waste in all purchasing decisions as part of our Responsible Sourcing programme.