Te Waiu O Aotearoa Trust Scholarships.
These scholarships were established to promote, develop and provide for the education, advancement and employment opportunities of Māori, with a preference in the general business, banking or finance industries.
Applications for the 2024 tertiary study scholarships are now closed.
The tertiary study scholarships award to up to four Māori students in at least their second year of a general business-related or banking and finance-related degree.
Each recipient will receive $5,000 towards their 2024 study costs.
To be eligible for a Te Waiu O Aotearoa Trust Scholarship applicants must:
- Be of Māori descent & Iwi registered
- Be enrolled at a recognised New Zealand tertiary institution in 2024
- Be studying a general business-related or banking and finance-related degree
- Be in at least their second year of the study programme
- Be studying full-time
- Preferably but not necessarily be fluent in te Reo Māori
- Submit their application and supporting documentation by 11:59pm Sunday 15 October 2023.
The Trustees will consider the applications based on the following criteria:
- Leadership at tertiary institution and in the community
- Involvement with Iwi, Hapū, Marae and wider Māori community
- Life and work experience
- Whakapapa with appropriate endorsement
- Confirmation of study details.
The scholarships will be awarded to up to four Tāne and Wāhine throughout Te Waka-a-Māui (South Island) and Te Ika-a-Māui (North Island).
Scholarship funds paid.
The 2023 Te Waiu o Aotearoa Trust tertiary scholarships recipients were:
Gladys Ihuwai Henderson
Doctor of Māori Development and Advancement, Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi.
Ngāti Whātua, Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Kahungunu, Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Tūwharetoa
Conjoint Bachelor of Arts and Laws (Honours) majoring in Economics and Māori Studies, University of Auckland.
Bachelor of Business, majoring in Accounting, Massey University.
Te Iwitoa Kruger-Taylor
Ngāi Tūhoe, Ngāti Maniapoto
Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Finance and Marketing, University of Auckland.
Waikato Tainui, Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngāpuhi
Bachelor of Commerce, University of Otago.
Ngāti Whātua, Ngāti Awa
Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Innovation and Entrepreneurship, minoring in Management and Marketing, University of Auckland.