If a deceased person held more than $15,000 at date of death or present in one particular asset (i.e. bank accounts, KiwiSaver, shares or life insurance) or owns property in their own name, probate or letters of administration will likely be required. Determining whether formal administration is required can be tricky.

Call us at 0800 756 872 or if you’re overseas call +64 9 375 9926 to talk through these legal requirements or to determine if Westpac holds more than $15,000.

Find out more about Deceased Estates here.