Renters' Content Insurance
Renting or flatting by yourself, with family members or other tenants?
Your landlord won't cover your belongings, so it's up to you! Renters' Content Insurance can cover your belongings for up to $25,000 if they're lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.
It's for you if:
- you live in a rented property
- you only want cover of up to $25,000 for your belongings in case they are accidentally lost, stolen or damaged
- you want to cover your liability in case you accidentally damage someone else’s property – like your landlord’s property.
Simple, affordable cover for the contents of your home and other personal belongings
Good value cover for items that are accidentally lost, stolen or damaged.
Choose from one of the standard cover amounts
$10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or $25,000.
Cover for personal liability should you accidentally injure someone for up to $100,000 or damage your landlord's or someone else's property for up to $2 million.
New for old
If you make a valid claim for items that have been accidentally lost, stolen or damaged, we will replace most of your major household items with new ones, as long as they are less than five years old. Certain items are only covered for market value.
You could be covered for:
- your personal belongings if they are accidentally lost, stolen or damaged
- your liability as a result of accidental damage to someone else’s property (such as your landlords) - up to $2 million
- your liability as a result of you accidentally injuring someone - up to $100,000
- temporary accommodation costs for up to 6 months (maximum of $5,000), if your home is damaged and unlivable
The cost depends on what you’re insuring, how much it’s worth, where it’s located and what excess you choose to pay. The higher your excess, generally the lower the premiums you will pay.
The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim yourself.
The minimum excess for each claim under Renters’ Contents Cover is $250 for each claim.
This excludes burglary or theft, where the excess is $500.
To apply for Renters’ Contents Cover visit any Westpac branch or call 0800 555 580 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm; Saturday, 9am to 3pm.
30-day free look
You’re entitled to a free look period of 30 days from the start date of your policy.
If you decide this cover is not for you within the free look period, please call us on 0800 809 378 and we’ll refund any premiums you’ve paid.
Westpac Renter’ Contents Cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac") and underwritten by Lumley General Insurance (N.Z.) Limited (“Lumley”). Westpac does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by Lumley. Westpac may receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of Lumley policies. For Lumley's financial strength rating please click here.
The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF, or obtained from any Westpac branch free of charge). The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.
Any payment is subject to your claim being accepted.