As thousands of Kiwis flock to their favourite summer holiday locations over Christmas and New Years, we caught up with All White and Wellington Phoenix goal-scorer, Jeremy Brockie, to see which part of the country he heads off to.
What is your favourite NZ summer holiday spot?
So what is it you love about Nelson?
Nelson was home for me as a young kid and is more a holiday destination these days. It’s very rare that the sun doesn’t come out and the people are very friendly.
How long have you been going there for?
Not as much as I'd like to of late as the football season runs through the summer.
What is your favourite/fondest memory there?
I have plenty of memories from Nelson but the most recent one that comes to my head would have to be proposing to my now wife in the Abel Tasman.
If you were pitching it to one of your mates as the perfect Kiwi summer spot, what would you say some of its best features are?
If you want sun, good beaches, and a relaxing time, then there's no better place to be in New Zealand than Nelson. It’s got a good vibe with plenty of great little cafes and restaurants to enjoy a bite to eat and quiet drink or two.
- Played a total of 118 A-league games and scored 39 goals.
- Made professional football debut at the age of 17 in 2004 in the A-league for the New Zealand Knights.
- Since then has played for 3 Australian clubs: Sydney FC, North Queensland Fury, Newcastle Jets.
- Currently in 3rd season with the Wellington.
Represented NZ at the following events:
- NZ Schoolboys in 2002.
- Under 20 World cup in Canada in 2007.
- Beijing Olympics team (first male player to score an Olympic Goal for NZ).
- 2 appearances at the 2009 Fifa Confederations Cup with the All Whites.
- 1 appearance at the 2010 Fifa World Cup with the All Whites.
- NZ All Whites Debut in 2005 in Chch against Malaysia.
- Has 43 caps.