Tools and resources

We’ve got a wealth of resources around home buying and selling, building and renovating – whether you’re a first homebuyer or are looking to get into property investment.

Download handy checklists, explore our list of people who can give you advice, or enjoy our interactive loan selector tool.

Checklists Videos

Find out how you can make changes to your loan

Learn about topping up your home loan

Find out how to pay off your loan faster

Useful contacts




Consumers NZ

Their website has useful information for people wanting to buy, sell or build a home.

04 384 7963
Real Estate Institute (REINZ)

Over 10,500 real estate professionals are members of REINZ. Their role is, amongst other things, facilitating the quality of REINZ members in relation to the principles and practice of real estate.

Call 0800 473 469 and ask for your regional office
Real Estate Agents Authority The Real Estate Agents Authority is the independent, governmnet regulatory body for the real estate industry in New Zealand. They license people and agencies, investigate complaints and set industry standards, as well as providing info for people looking to buy and sell homes. If you have a complaint about a real estate agent, you can take your case to the Real Estate Agents Authority. 0800 367 7322
NZ Law Society and your District Law Society They have offices around the country and provide information on legal services, including a range of online leaflets, There is also a formal complaints service.

Call your local District Law Society or 04 472 7837
or to find a property lawyer visit
or for the Complaints Service call 0800 261 801

Property Institute of New Zealand (PINZ)

All registered valuers belong to the New Zealand Institute of Valuers, which is part of the Property Institute. The Institute sets standards and can help if you have a complaint about a member. Their website lists members.

04 384 7094
BRANZ (Building Research Association of
New Zealand)

BRANZ is based in Wellington, with offices in other entres. They provide a range of building related services, including publications for homeowners and a 0900 (pay) helpline.

Call your local office or
04 237 1170
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment for…
  • The Building and Housing Group
  • Tenancy Services
  • Weathertight Services

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment came into being on 1 July 2012, and incorporates the functions of former departments including the former Department of Building & Housing.

The Building part of their website has a lot of helpful information for people who are building or renovating. The Tenancy Services section has information for landlords including average rents around the country. Their Weathertightness service provides information about leaky homes and has a claims service.

Building services
0800 242 243
Tenancy services
0800 836 262
Weathertight services
0800 324 477

Master Builders Federation Both organisations set standards for members’ work and can help if you have a complaint about a member. You can also find a list of registered builders in your area. 0800 269 119
Certified Builders Association of New Zealand 0800 237 843
New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors

The national body for registered building surveyors. The website has information on pre-purchase and weathertightness inspections, and lists members who can help when you’re buying or building.

0800 113 400
IPENZ Professional Engineers Most engineers belong to one or both of these organisations. If you need an engineering report they can provide names of suitable practitioners. IPENZ handles all complaints related to professional competence. 04 473 9444
Association of Consulting Engineers (ACENZ) 0800 500 150
NZ Institute of Architects Incorporated Most architects belong to this organisation. They have a range of publications on services architects can provide and a list of registered members on their website. 09 623 6080
Banking Ombudsman The Ombudsman helps if there are problems with your lender that you can’t resolve by other means. 0800 805 950
Insurance and Savings Ombudsman The Ombudsman helps resolves disputes with member organisations. 0800 888 202

Inland Revenue provides information on KiwiSaver. Find out how it works, how to join and how it could help you buy your first home.

0800 549 472

Property Investment resources

Tools to help you plan, calculate, learn and keep track of your investigation into owning rental property.

Property Investment tools & resources