1. Contact the council

Ask your local and regional councils for information about the area and any future plans, including zoning and other development rules.

2. Apply for a LIM report

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) from the local authority gives you all sorts of valuable information, including drainage, roads, flooding, erosion and consents.

3. Get a builder’s report

Get a report on the property from a licensed building practitioner. Ask them what their report will and won’t cover, and also ask them for an idea of what it might cost to fix any problems they find.

If there might be any problems with the land or the building, you should also get a report from an engineer.

Plus, you can check the Weathertightness to see if there’s been a leaky home claim for the property.

4. Ask your lawyer to check the title to the property

By checking the title, your lawyer will be able to tell you if there are any restrictions that could affect your ownership or use of the property. The estate agent should have a copy of the title.

You might also want to ask your lawyer about title insurance. It could help protect you if you find out later on that the boundaries are wrong, or there’s been illegal work done on the property.

5. Talk to us

If you have any questions, one of our Mobile Mortgage Managers can come and see you. They’ll explain how to dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s, and talk through what Westpac will need before confirming your home loan.