Settlement from start to finish
You’ve agreed a price with the seller and your offer has been accepted. You are very, very close to owning your first home. Your lawyer will now get everything in order, so you can settle (and book the removal company).
When your offer is accepted, it’s time for your lawyer to swing into action. They’ll make sure the conditions in your agreement are met, and start doing the legal work to transfer the property to your name. This legal process – including checking and registering documents to transfer the ownership over – is called conveyancing.
Insuring your property is usually a condition of your home loan.
If you’re applying for a home loan with Westpac, we can help you arrange all your insurance, including home, contents and income protection. Have a look at our insurance section and think about what you’ll need.
Once any conditions have been met, it’s time for a very important day in the calendar: settlement day. This is the moment you officially become a home owner.
Your lawyer will take care of everything and arrange the transfer of ownership. There’s nothing for you to do but sit back, feel happy with the way it’s all worked out, and wait to hear when everything’s officially settled.
Your lawyer’s responsibilities include:
- Doing a guaranteed title search.
- Liaising with the seller’s lawyer to make sure you receive a clear title.
- Paying the money to the seller’s lawyer.
- Ensuring the seller’s lawyer does their side of the electronic dealing.
- Completing the transfer using Landonline.
- Agreeing final details such as where you get the keys, and when you can move in.
What happens next
After settlement your lawyer will:
- Give you a statement showing all the purchase details.
- Send a copy of the title, mortgage and certificate of insurance to Westpac.
- Give you a copy of the title showing that you’re registered as the new owner.
We’ll let you know when your first repayment is due, so please check that you have enough money in your account on that day. It’s always a good idea to set your repayments for the day after your salary or wages have been paid into your account.
You’ll also get regular loan statements so you can keep an eye on things. (You can check these online through Westpac One® online banking any time you like, or at your nearest branch.)
Congratulations! You’ve gone on the long, winding house buying journey and ended up in a place you can truly call home. Now you can put your feet up and relax, have a cup of tea, and read some of the latest property news, views and ideas.