Balance transfer calculator
You could save on interest charges on hire purchases, store cards, or another bank's credit card or personal loan debts if you transfer them to a Westpac credit card account.
This calculation is a guide only and assumes no other transactions are made apart from minimum monthly payments of 2% of the total debt or $5, whichever is greater. If you do make new purchases or cash advances on the card, both will incur the applicable standard interest rates from the date the transaction is made (with no interest free days), until after the balance transferred and interest is paid off.
Applying for a Balance Transfer is easy, first you'll need a Westpac credit card.
Already have a Westpac credit card?
Print and complete our balance transfer form, then freepost it back to us. Or drop into your nearest local branch to apply.
Don't have a Westpac credit card?
If you are already a Westpac customer, apply for a credit card in Westpac One® online banking.
If you are new to Westpac, apply for a credit card below and complete the balance transfer section under 'Debt and Expenses' to transfer your balance.
Balance Transfers - Things you need to know
● You can make new purchases and cash advances on the credit card you transfer an outstanding balance to. Both will incur the current standard interest rates from the date the transaction is made with no interest free days, until the balance transferred and interest is paid off.
● Each month you need to make at least the minimum repayment towards your transferred balance, which is the greater of $5 or 2% of your closing balance. If you make new purchases or cash advances on the card and if on the balance transferred you still have an outstanding balance, you will incur interest on new purchases and cash advances.
● You must continue to make payments to any account from which you transfer a balance until you have confirmation from Westpac that such account has been credited pursuant to these balance transfer arrangements. Westpac accepts no liability for late payment charges and any fees or charges related to your other account, including any costs to close that account.
● Your Westpac card must remain within its credit limit. Westpac’s Conditions of Use for the applicable credit card.
● Balances may be transferred from New Zealand issued Visa, MasterCard, American Express (Centurion Finance) and Diners Club Cards. Balances may also be transferred from other financial organisations at Westpac's discretion, including but not limited to hire purchase accounts, store cards, and personal loans from other banks. You cannot transfer a balance from a Westpac card or loan. You are responsible for any residual interest charges or late transaction fees.
● The balance transfer is subject to Westpac approval and Westpac has the right to refuse any transfers.
● By applying for this balance transfer, you acknowledge that if Westpac processes your balance transfer before you sign or use your card or use any other payment instrument (such as Westpac PayTag®, if requested) to access your account, the transfer will be subject to the card conditions of use for the applicable card.
● Westpac will only transfer the debit balance amount you have requested.
● Interest will be charged on a daily basis from the date of transfer.
● Should your balance transfer be for a fixed period of time as part of a promotion (for example, 12 months), any outstanding balance at the end of the promotional period will be charged at the applicable standard purchase interest rate, which may be higher than the current applicable purchase interest rate.
● Any payments made to your card account will be applied against balance transfers before being applied against cash advances and other purchases until paid in full, but after charges and interest that have accrued. If a customer has multiple balance transfer rates, payments will be applied to the lowest rate first.
● Please allow 10 days from our receipt of this balance transfer request for processing.
● Fixed term promotional interest rate periods commence on the date of the transfer.
This calculator is a guide only and indicates possible approximate savings over the periods specified. Please note the current monthly Westpac credit card minimum payment requirement is 2% of the total debt or $5, whichever is greater. The calculations are made assuming (a) the balance transfer is made on the first day of the first month and subsequent payments are made on the last day of each following month and (b) no other transactions are made during the period specified. Interest accrues on the daily balance. Interest charge calculation methodology and rounding may differ slightly from actual credit card account calculations. The calculated savings are provided for illustrative purposes only and are based on the accuracy of the information entered. The information provided does not constitute a quote or offer by Westpac and does not take into account your personal financial situation or goals.
Balances may be transferred from New Zealand Visa, Mastercard, American Express (Centurion Finance) and Diners Club cards. Balances may also be transferred from other financial organisations at Westpac's discretion, including but not limited to hire purchase accounts, store cards, and personal loans from other banks. You cannot transfer a balance from a Westpac card or loan. You are responsible for any residual interest charges or late transaction fees.
You can transfer up to 95% of your available credit card limit. Balances cannot be transferred to a Mastercard BusinessCard/Purchasing Card.
The balance transfer is subject to Westpac approval and Westpac has the right to refuse any transfers.