The Westpac Rescue Helicopter provides a vital 24/7 service that makes a life or death difference for thousands of New Zealanders each year. You never know when you or a loved one may need it.
About the service
Rescue helicopters operate a vital rescue service that’s on-call for all New Zealanders, virtually anywhere in the country.
These helicopters are like a fully equipped intensive care unit in the sky. They’re equipped to deal with any situation – from a defibrillator for a premature baby, to full life-support systems.
Rescue helicopters are used when:
• a patient is very sick or badly injured, and medics believe getting to hospital quickly will make a big difference
• an accident has occurred in a difficult or remote location
We’ve been a proud sponsor of the Rescue Helicopter Service for over 30 years. Here’s what we do:
- we’re the main sponsor of the Auckland, Waikato, Wellington and Canterbury rescue helicopter services
- we’re an associate sponsor of the West Coast, Tauranga, Taupo, Palmerston North, Rotorua and Nelson rescue helicopter trusts
- we provide staff and funding to promote and manage the annual nationwide fundraising campaign, the Westpac Chopper Appeal.
Westpac’s goal is to raise $1 million every year for rescue helicopters around New Zealand.
In 2012, the New Zealand public helped us raise an incredible new record of $1,672,085 – so a huge ‘thank you’!
Share the stories
More than 5,000 missions are undertaken by rescue choppers each year. Here’s the difference it can make:
- Visit www.chopperappeal.co.nz. Watch some of the real-life stories of New Zealanders grateful for the “second chance” they’ve been given following their own helicopter rescue. You can also watch Rescue 1 episodes on TVNZ On Demand.
- Connect with us on Facebook. Go to www.facebook.com/WestpacNZ to share or read some incredible rescue stories, and keep up-to-date with the latest Chopper events.
How can you help?
- Make a donation. You don’t need to wait for our annual appeal – donations are always welcome at any time! You can:
> donate when you visit your nearest Westpac branch
> make an online donation using a credit/debit card
> log-in to Westpac Online Banking to transfer your donation
- If you have a Westpac credit card that earns Hotpoints, you can donate your hotpoints - this is a great way to show your support. Simply donate some or all of your Hotpoints within Westpac Online Banking.
Donations are always welcome, but it’s not all about the money. Even raising awareness about the role of rescue helicopters can help us save more lives.