About the service
New Zealand’s rescue helicopters provide a vital safety net for all people. Performing over 7,590 missions last year and operating nationwide through 16 local rescue helicopter services, many of the rescue choppers act as flying intensive care units. Along with remote rescue, the highly trained specialist crews have been called upon to perform critical hospital transfers, attend emergency births, and respond to car and boating accidents. In fact they may attend any type of emergency where rapid response or difficult location is a factor. And they’ll do this any time of the day or night, every day of the year, right across the country.
We’ve been a proud sponsor of Westpac Rescue Helicopters for 35 years. Here’s how we help;
- we’re the principal sponsor of the Auckland, Waikato, Wellington and Canterbury rescue helicopter services
- we’re an associate sponsor of the West Coast, Tauranga, Taupo, Palmerston North and Rotorua rescue helicopter services
- we provide people and funding to promote and manage the annual nationwide fundraising campaign, the Westpac Chopper Appeal. We proudly support all rescue helicopters in New Zealand through our appeal
Our goal is to raise $1 million every year for rescue helicopters around New Zealand. In 2016, the Westpac Chopper Appeal raised $1.3 million with all donations being distributed back to the 16 rescue chopper services across the country, meaning money raised locally, stays local.
A big thanks to all who dug deep and contributed, New Zealanders have again shown amazing support for their local rescue helicopters. Your generosity continues to ensure this vital emergency service can stay in the air and carry out life-saving rescue missions every day.
Share the stories
More than 7,000 missions are undertaken by rescue choppers each year. Visit chopperappeal.co.nz to browse some amazing real-life Chopper rescue stories and to share your story.
How can you help?
Make a donation. You don’t need to wait for our annual appeal – donations are always welcome at any time! You can:
- donate when you visit your nearest Westpac branch
- make an online donation using a credit/debit card at chopperappeal.co.nz
- log-in to Westpac Online Banking to transfer your donation
- if you have a Westpac credit card that earns hotpoints®, you can donate your hotpoints through the Westpac hotpoints website
Donations are always welcome, but it’s not all about the money. Even raising awareness about the role of rescue helicopters can help us save more lives.
For any queries in regards to the Westpac Chopper Appeal, please email email@example.com.