If you’re from overseas and studying in New Zealand, you can get a transaction account with no monthly account or transaction fees plus a fee-free credit card for the first year and much more. You can even keep the money in your currency.
What you can apply for
- an Easy Access account with no monthly account maintenance or transaction fees*
- your choice of an Online Saver or Online Bonus Saver account.
- a Westpac Eftpos/ATM card
- a credit card (maximum credit card limit of $500)**
- foreign currency accounts
- travel insurance while you are here
- car and contents insurance
- txt alerts and email alerts
The free stuff.
- account maintenance fee wiped on Easy Access account
- electronic and manual transactions free (at Westpac ATMs)
- Phone Banking (first five calls each month are free)
- first year annual fee on your new credit card is free
The things you will be charged for:
Some of the things you will be charged for are:
- Phone Banking: 50c per call after the first five calls per month
- Mobile banking and txt alerts: 25c per txt plus your mobile provider’s usual txt charges
- using another bank’s ATM: $1 per transaction
- setting up and amending automatic payments: $2 if you do it online or $5 if you do it over the phone or in branch
Fees and charges
|Easy Access Account (International Students) - Fees|
|Note: Any transactions made at another bank's ATM will incur an additional $1 charge. The term 'free' refers to Westpac fees only.
Please note a cheque book is not available on the Easy Access account.
|Fee type||Fee amount|
|Monthly Account Maintenance Fee*
Easy Access account and Online Saver
EFTPOS, Westpac ATM transfers/withdrawls, automatic payments once set up (service fee applies to set up or amend), direction debit, direct credit, bill payments, online and phone banking payments.
(Cheques written, Westpac ATM deposits, deposits and withdrawals at a branch)
Manual transactions not available for Online Saver.
|Phone Banking||First 5 calls month||Free|
|Calls after that||50c each|
¹20% on Westpac's foreign exchange income margin. To receive the discount for Inward Telegraphic Transfers, they must be sent directly to Westpac Banking Corporation Wellington, New Zealand and have International Student Pac written in the Bank to Bank field to receive the discount.
What you need to do to qualify
- have a valid student visa
- attend a Westpac approved tertiary institution#
- be studying fulltime for six months or longer
- provide evidence of enrolment
- have any regular income (such as wages or lump sum payments from home) paid into your Easy Access account
- complete an application form
*Other service fees may apply. Click here for details or refer to our Transaction and Service Fees brochure.
**Westpac’s current credit card lending criteria apply to all credit card applications and transfers. Credit Card Conditions of Use will apply.
#Most New Zealand Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education are approved institutions. If you’re not sure if you qualify, just call us on 0800 400 600 (7 am to 11pm, 7 days a week).
Transaction and service fees are current as at 8 March 2014 and are subject to change. Other fees may apply to Westpac products and services. Click here for details.
Terms and conditions, exclusions and limits apply to all applications for insurance.
You can get a copy of the current disclosure statement for Westpac New Zealand Limited or the investment statement for any product for which an investment statement is required from any Westpac branch in New Zealand, free of charge. Westpac New Zealand Limited.