Reducing your account costs
Below are some simple tips to help you reduce banking costs and fees. First tip? Try out our account chooser tool to see whether you've got the account that suits you best.
Use Online Banking
- it’s free to access
- setting up or amending your automatic payments online is cheaper than doing it at a branch
- paying your bills online costs less than sending a cheque.
Keep an eye on your account with Mobile Online Banking
Mobile Online Banking lets you access your account when you're out and about. You can
- check your account balances
- transfer money between your Westpac accounts
- view previous activity on your accounts, including your credit card
- view upcoming payments.
Find out more about mobile banking.
Stop receiving paper statements
- log on to Online Banking and choose "Stop the Statements" on the left of the page
- download a copy in a PDF format by following the "View statements" link on your transaction list
- with an Electronic Account you can stop your paper statements and you won't be charged the monthly account maintenance fee
- you can also stop your credit card paper statements.
Get email and text alerts
- to register for email and text alerts you need to be an Online Banking customer and have an email address
- keep track of your Online Banking activity, bank account and credit card information wherever you are
- choose the type of alerts you'd like to receive, and the time you want them
- to help you stay in control you can set up credit card email or text alerts, which will remind you three days before a payment is due
- know instantly when changes are made to your Online Banking settings for greater security
- find out more about email and txt alerts.
Phone Banking and ATMs
- with Phone Banking your first five calls each month are free
- it costs $1 to use another bank's ATM, so stick with using Westpac's ATMs.
Save money on bank accounts
- splitting your pay between your accounts using Payline Split reduces the cost of transferring money between your accounts
- avoid using a savings account as an everyday account to reduce transaction and service fees
- close unused or forgotten accounts.
Fee waivers for superannuitants
Eliminate monthly account maintenance and transaction fees*. These fees are waived if you have an eligible Westpac transaction account direct credited with your
- NZ National Superannuation
- UK Retirement Pension
- NZ War Pension.
*Other service fees will still apply
Fee waivers on junior accounts
There's no monthly maintenance and transaction fees on Junior accounts:
- Electronic Account
- Simple Saver
- Online Saver*
- Online Bonus Saver*
*To operate the Online Saver or Online Bonus Saver accounts, you must hold a Westpac Transaction Account.
Each child can have up to two Junior accounts and the fee waiver is valid until they reach 19 years.
Fee waivers for students and graduates
- free electronic and manual transactions and no account maintenance charges for students
- range of free electronic and manual transactions for 12 months after you graduate
Do you have over $25,000 total personal business with us? You’ll start paying less for your account operating fees on your Flat-fee Access Account.