Home Insurance

It's likely that your home is your biggest asset so it's very important it's well protected. Our comprehensive Home Cover Policy can help you relax knowing your home will be repaired or rebuilt if it's accidentally damaged by things like fire, water, burglary and natural disasters.

It's for you if:

  • you want the reassurance of knowing your home will be repaired or rebuilt if it’s accidentally damaged
  • you need temporary help paying your Westpac home loan if you lose your home completely
  • you are a landlord and you want to protect your rental income if your home is unlivable due to a loss covered by the Policy

Home Insurance

Or give us a call on

0800 400 600

Comprehensive cover when you need it

Home insurance covers your home for accidental damage, including damage by fire, water, natural disaster or a burglary. It can also top up what the Earthquake Commission pays for earthquakes and other natural disasters to the amount of cover under the policy (your Sum Insured).

Cover for your Westpac home loan

An exclusive benefit for Westpac home loan customers which could pay a contribution towards your Westpac home loan up to $1,500 per month for 3 months in the event of a total loss, as well as a $1,000 stress payment.

More than just home cover

You are also covered for lots of other benefits that could save you money. You will automatically be covered for extra costs like temporary accommodation, new locks and keys for your home if they are lost or stolen (including remote door openers), and landscaping.

Cover for your rental house

As a landlord, you have some extra risks that other policies don’t always cover. But with Home Cover you can recover lost rents – for up to 12 months, to a maximum of $20,000 – while your house is being repaired or rebuilt. Your chattels like appliances, furniture, carpets and blinds are also covered up to a maximum of $5,000.

Home Cover provides cover for the cost to rebuild your home up to a Sum Insured. This means, in the event of a total loss, you would be covered for the rebuild costs up to the Sum Insured specified in your Policy Schedule. It’s important that you ensure your Sum Insured is adequate to cover all costs associated with rebuilding your home.

For more information on how to establish a Sum Insured, click here.

Your Home Cover also has additional benefits covering you for extra costs.

You are covered for

Up to

Temporary accommodation for you and your dogs and cats if you live in your home and it’s damaged and unlivable

12 months (max $25,000)

Liability for damage to someone else’s property because of an accident at your place

$2 million

A payment to your estate if you or your spouse die from a fire or burglary at home

$5,000 each ($10,000 total)

A stress payment if you lose your home completely


New locks, keys or remote doors openers if they are lost or stolen and you live in your home

$2,000 with no excess (otherwise, no limit)

Landscaping costs after your home is damaged


Hidden gradual damage to the home by leaks from internal pipes while you own it


Damage caused by your pets


The cost of Home Cover depends on multiple factors, including the Sum Insured for your home, where you live and the excess you choose to pay. You could also get discounts on other Westpac insurances to help you save on your total cost.

Home Cover Excess

The excess is the amount you pay towards the claim yourself.

The minimum excess is

  • $400 for each claim if you own the house you live in    
  • $450 for each claim if the house is your holiday home
  • $700 for each claim if the house is a rental property

If you're 55 or over and live in your own home, you can pay more for your insurance and have a lower excess of $150.

Natural Disaster Special Excess

All home policies include a Natural Disaster Special Excess of $5,000. This excess only applies to claims resulting from a natural disaster involving property insured under your Home Cover policy which is not covered by the Earthquake Commission.

How can I save money on my premiums?

With Home Cover, you can:

  • generally save money on your premium by increasing your excess
  • get a discount if you’re 50 years old or over (excludes rental properties or where the policy is in the name of a trust or company)
  • get a 10% discount on your Contents, Vehicle and Boat Cover if you're living in your own home and insure it with us

To apply for Home Cover, visit any Westpac branch or call 0800 177 277 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm; Saturday, 9am to 3pm.

30-day free look

You’re entitled to a free look period of 30 days from the start date of your policy.

If you decide this cover is not for you within the free look period, please call us on 0800 809 378 and we’ll refund any premiums you’ve paid.

Westpac Home Cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac") and underwritten by Lumley General Insurance (N.Z.) Limited (“Lumley”). Westpac does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by Lumley. Westpac may receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of Lumley policies. For Lumley's financial strength rating please click here.

The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF, or obtained from any Westpac branch free of charge). The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.

Any payment is subject to your claim being accepted.