Cars & other vehicle Insurance

Whether you have one car or two or a motorcycle, our range of vehicle cover could help protect all your wheels.

Put simply - if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by an accident, fire or natural disaster, you could be covered. If you're on a tight budget, we also offer third party fire and theft cover, or just third party cover.

Cars & other vehicle Insurance

Or give us a call on

0800 400 600

Full cover benefits

  • Cover for your vehicle if it’s stolen or damaged
    If the vehicle is stolen or the damage is caused by an accident, fire or natural disaster you will have full cover.
  • Damage to your windscreen or windows
    Cover for the cost to repair or replace your windscreen and you won't have to pay an excess or lose your no claims bonus.
  • Help if your car can’t be driven after an accident
    You could get help or cover for travel, medical costs and accommodation if your car can't be driven after an accident covered by the policy.
  • Help with cleanup of an accident scene and getting your repaired car home
  • Car hire for up to 14 days
    If your car is being repaired after an accident, or remains stolen and not recovered, we could help pay towards a car hire.
  • New vehicle – no worries
    If you’ve just bought a brand new vehicle and it’s written off in an accident in the first year (from first registration), you will get a brand new replacement car (as long as the model is still available).
  • Extra benefits
    This includes help with things like lost or stolen keys and locks, and more.

What cover do I get?

You are covered for…

Up to…

Repair or replacement of your vehicle if it’s stolen or damaged

Market value (limited to the sum insured)

Damage to your windscreen or windows (you won’t have to pay any excess and your no-claims bonus is not affected)          

The full cost to repair or replace your windscreen

Travel and accommodation


Returning the vehicle home


Medical Expenses


New locks or keys if they are stolen

$1000 (no excess - otherwise no limit)

Liability for cleaning up the accident site


Legal costs if you’re charged with manslaughter after an accident


A payment to your estate if you or your spouse die from an accident in your vehicle

$5,000 each (total $10,000)

Accidental loss or damage to any trailer you own or use


Your liability as a result of injury to another person or damage to as a result of an accident involving your car

$20 million

The cost of vehicle cover depends on the type of vehicle you own, how much it is worth and things like your age, and driving record. It also depends on what excess you choose and the type of cover you want.


The excess is the amount you pay towards the claim yourself.

The minimum excess for all covers is

  • $300 for drivers over 25                         
  • $750 for drivers aged 21—24                             
  • $1000 for drivers under 21                                 
  • $1000 for anyone who hasn't had a current full New Zealand driver's licence for the last 12 months

If you are insuring a motorbike, the excess may be different.

The standard excess for a caravan is $100.

You won’t lose your no-claims bonus or have to pay the excess if

  • your vehicle is in an accident caused by someone else, and
  • you can identify the other driver and the other driver was substantially more at fault

If your vehicle breaks down, you lose your keys or even get a flat tyre, one phone call could get you back on the road again in no time. Westpac Auto Assist is available as an optional benefit on our full Vehicle Cover for just $2.50 a month.

Westpac Auto Assist Benefits:

  • 24 / 7 breakdown service – that’s right, we’re at the end of a phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 365 days a year.
  • Cover for your specific vehicle, not a specific driver meaning even if someone else is driving your vehicle and it breaks down, they can still use the service
  • 3 call outs per year, which resets on your Annual Review Date
  • Breakdown costs are covered up to a maximum of $150 per call out (includes costs of roadside serviceperson and attending to the vehicle)

What do I get?

You are covered for roadside breakdown assistance to:

  • Jump-start your vehicle and organise a replacement battery if necessary (at your cost)
  • Access your vehicle if you’re locked out
  • Change your tyre
  • Emergency delivery of $20 worth of fuel if you run out (you pay for the fuel)
  • Minor roadside repairs
  • Vehicle recovery or towing, where required
  • Free temporary side glass replacement, where available
  • Assist with arranging emergency replacement travel or accommodation

To add Westpac Auto Assist to your full Vehicle Cover policy, call us on 0800 809 378.

Westpac Auto Assist is distributed by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac"), arranged by Lumley General Insurance (N.Z.) Limited (“Lumley”) and provided by the New Zealand Automobile Association (“NZAA”). Westpac Vehicle Cover is underwritten by Lumley and terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. Westpac does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by Lumley or the NZAA. Download the Auto Assist Terms and Conditions PDF

Third party insurance

  • will cover your liability for damage to another person’s property you cause accidentally (up to $20 million)
  • damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver in another car, providing you can identify them and prove it was their fault (up to $3,000)
  • won't pay for the damage to your car or vehicle if the driver of the other vehicle was insured or you have an accident that doesn’t involve another car

Third party insurance – optional extra cover, fire and theft

You can also get third party insurance with extra cover for fire and theft. This is just like third party insurance, but it means you are also insured if your vehicle is stolen or catches fire.

What cover can I get for my motorbike?

You can insure your motorbike in case it’s stolen or damaged in an accident or natural disaster, or you can just get third party liability if you prefer.

There are some added conditions for bikes (such as stolen parts aren’t covered) and your cover doesn’t include any extra costs, such as cleaning up an accident site. See your policy for a list of conditions.

What cover can I get for my caravan?

You can insure your caravan for theft and accidental damage – but this cover is only for a caravan in tow, not one that is permanently parked. Your cover includes the fittings and furniture normally sold with a caravan plus up to $1,000 for other items and personal belongings carried inside the caravan.

What cover can I get for my boat?

If you have a boat for private recreational use, we bet you'd hate to lose it, or the gear on board. That's why you should consider boat insurance, which can cover your boat no matter where it is in New Zealand – on land or in water.

You’re covered if you lose or accidentally damage

  • your boat trailer
  • any navigation gear normally sold with a boat
  • sails, masts, spars and riggings (you will need to consider extra cover if your boat is a yacht involved in racing)
  • someone else’s property with your boat for which you are liable (up to $1 million)
  • salvage costs if your boat needs to be recovered after an accident

Boat Cover is only for private recreational boats. If your boat is used commercially or for power boat racing it will not covered by this policy. You will need extra cover. There are also special conditions for jet boats.

Call us for more detailed information about the conditions.

What does it cost?

It depends on how much your boat is worth – and things like your claims record, the activities you mainly use your boat for and the excess you choose.

The excess is the amount you pay yourself if you make a claim. This is usually $100.

If you choose a higher excess, your premiums will be lower.

Westpac Vehicle and Boat cover is arranged by Westpac New Zealand Limited ("Westpac") and underwritten by Lumley General Insurance (N.Z.) Limited (“Lumley”). Westpac does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by Lumley. Westpac may receive commission payments as a result of the arrangement of Lumley policies. For Lumley's financial strength rating please click here.

The information contained on this page is intended as a general guide only and may vary at times. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. More detail can be found in the policy document (downloaded here as a PDF, or obtained from any Westpac branch free of charge). The availability of any insurance cover is subject to the acceptance and approval of a complete application.

Any payment is subject to your claim being accepted.