Depending on your needs, Westpac can provide the following:
Some benefits to having EFTPOS payments available in your business:
- Allows you to accept Debit cards.
- Reduces the risk of fraud with assured payments and 24/7 availability of service.
- Improves cash flow for the business with funds credited into your account the same day.
- Reduces transaction time and provides convenience to your customers.
EFTPOS and credit cards
Allows you to accept debit cards along with Scheme credit / debit cards. Westpac offers:
- The ability to accept payments face-to-face with your customers, and as "card not present" – when your customer is not there with their card at the time the payment needs to be made.
- Standalone and mobile EFTPOS terminal rental.
- Westpac Currency Choice.
- Contactless acceptance.
If you're a member of one of our selected Industry Associations, we can save you money on your credit card processing with special banking deals. Find out more about Westpac's Association packages.
EFTPOS and credit cards with contactless acceptance
Contactless is a payment feature allowing cardholders to pay for purchases by simply holding their card close to the card reader on the contactless terminal, without needing to swipe the card or select an account. Purchases in New Zealand of under $80 will not require a PIN or a signature on a receipt.
Cards capable of making contactless payments will either say MasterCard®PayPass™ or Visa payWave on the front.
Contactless cards contain embedded secure antennae that safely transmit information to and from contactless terminals. It’s like paying with the exact amount needed without handing over a card, which makes purchases of under $80 fast, simple and convenient.
Westpac Verifone Terminal Solutions
Westpac and Verifone have partnered to bring Westpac customers the best terminal solutions on the market. Find out more.
Contactless payments: are they safe?
Making a contactless payment is just as secure as making a payment by dipping or swiping a card, and you will find that some of your customers prefer it as the card never leaves their possession during the transaction.
To make a purchase, the transaction must first be initiated on the terminal then the card needs to be held within 4cm of the contactless card reader on the terminal. There’s no need to fear multiple payments, even if your customer unintentionally taps their card twice.
As long as your customers have complied with their Credit Card Conditions of Use applicable to their card, if the unlikely happens and an unauthorised transaction does occur they are protected by MasterCard’s Zero Liability policy or Visa’s Zero Liability policy.
- You will need to ensure that you have a contactless-capable Eftpos device - speak to your terminal supplier regarding this.
- Contactless payments are charged to the cardholders credit card account only. So if you process a Visa or MasterCard debit card as a contactless transaction it will incur the same MSF fee that you are charged today for credit card transactions.
If your customers don’t want to make a contactless payment, they can still dip or swipe their card in the usual way.
More information is available on the following sites:
You may find these brochures and references handy when looking into accepting cards via a terminal for your business: