How can we help?
Debitplus Visa works like an Eftpos card, using money from your transaction account. But you can also use it online and over the phone, in fact, anywhere a credit card can go. Handy, right?
It's for you if:
- you want to buy things online, over the phone, or overseas
- you want to stay in control of your spending (by using your own money, not credit)
- you want to carry around just one card
Your Debitplus Visa card is simply linked to one of your eligible Westpac transaction accounts*. So when you use your Debitplus Visa, you’re using the money in that account (including any prearranged overdraft funds available).
- buy things online, over the phone, and overseas
- use it anywhere Visa is accepted (in NZ and overseas)
- use your own money – so there’s no bill to pay every month
- it doubles as an Eftpos card
- tertiary students who apply for a Debitplus Visa card with their Student Pac pay no annual fee for the first year*
- SuperGold card holders pay no annual fee for the first year
- a quick and easy application process (you can apply within Online Banking, or in branch)
- gives you access to concert pre-sales, great offers and competitions through Visa Entertainment. It’s free to register.
- we protect your Debitplus Visa card with Westpac Online Guardian – our market leading online security system. There are no special codes or gadgets to worry about just a single username and password chosen by you. Easy
- save on ATM fees when travelling in over 28 countries, through our Global Alliance network. Westpac is the only NZ bank to offer you this
Where you can use it
With a Debitplus Visa card, you can pay for things in more places - and in more ways - than a standard ATM or Eftpos card.
|In New Zealand||Overseas||Online, phone or mail order purchases||Cash withdrawal at Eftpos|
|Westpac standard ATM/Eftpos card||Yes||Yes||Yes||Rarely||No||At retailer's discretion|
|Westpac Debitplus Visa card||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||At retailer's discretion|
|Note: You can only access the available funds in your linked transaction account. This may include any prearranged overdraft facility on the account. The hotpoints® reward scheme is not available on Westpac Debitplus Visa cards.|
Debitplus Visa fees
|Debit & Eftpos cards - Fees|
|Fee type||Fee amount|
|Annual fee||Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||no fee
|Westpac DebitPlus Visa||$10 per card|
|Additional Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||no fee|
|Replacement card||$15 per card|
|Courier delivery in NZ/Overseas||Courier costs where applicable|
|Foreign currency fee When you use your Westpac ATM/Eftpos or Debitplus Visa card to make an overseas transaction.
||Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||2.50% of transaction amount
|Westpac DebitPlus Visa||2.50% of transaction amount|
|Using an ATM overseas These fees do not apply when using ATMs within the Global Alliance Group in the respective country shown. Institutions participating in the global ATM alliance include Deutshe Bank 24 (Germany), Bank of America (United States), Scotiabank (Canada), Barclays Bank (United Kingdom), BNP Paribas (France), Westpac (Australia) and Westpac (New Zealand).
An ATM service fee may be charged by the ATM provider
|cash withdrawal||NZ$8 per transaction
|balance enquiry||NZ$0.60c per transaction|
|declined transaction||NZ$0.60c per transaction|
The annual card fee is waived in the first year for:
- tertiary students who apply for a Debitplus card with their Student Pac
- SuperGold Card holders
Who can get a Debitplus Visa card?
To be eligible to apply for a Debitplus Visa card, you must
- be 15 years of age or over**
- have an eligible Westpac everyday account to link to your card.*
Already using our Online Banking?
You can apply for a Debitplus Visa online. Here’s how:
- Login to Online Banking.
- On the ‘Welcome/account balances’ page from the left hand navigation bar, select 'Debitplus Visa' under 'I want a...'
- A new screen will appear, select 'Apply now'.
New to Westpac?
Find out more about your application options here.
Or download a Debitplus application form and bring it to your nearest Wespac branch. Don't forget to bring:
- proof of ID and your current address click here for a list of acceptable verification documentation.
- your IRD number and your current bank account number(s).
*Eligible Westpac accounts include: Electronic, Easy Access, Access, Earner, Choices Everyday, Business Transact, Business Interest or Agriline.
Debitplus Conditions of Use apply. Transaction and service fees on this page are current as at 7 December 2013 and are subject to change. Other charges may apply to some transactions and services mentioned – please refer to the all fees section of this website. hotpoints® is a registered trademark of Westpac.
**To apply for a Debitplus Visa, you must be 15 years or older. For customers under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must complete a section of the application form and sign to accept the terms and conditions in person at a Westpac branch.