How can we help?
Debit MasterCard® works like an Eftpos card, using money from your transaction account*. But you can also use it online and over the phone, in fact, anywhere a credit card can go. Handy, right?
It's for you if:
- you want to buy things online, over the phone, or overseas
- you want to stay in control of your spending (by using your own money, not credit)
- you want to carry around just one card
Your Debit MasterCard is simply linked to one of your eligible Westpac transaction accounts and savings accounts*. So when you use your Debit MasterCard, you’re using the money in your account (including any prearranged overdraft funds available).
- buy things online, over the phone, and overseas
- use it anywhere MasterCard is accepted (in NZ and overseas)
- use your own money – so there’s no bill to pay every month
- it doubles as an Eftpos card
- tertiary students who apply for a Debit MasterCard with their Student Pac pay no annual fee for the course of their student life
- SuperGold card holders pay no annual fee for the first year
- a quick and easy application process (you can apply within Online Banking, or in branch)
- access to a broad range of local and global experiences across dining, travel, retail and entertainment. With offers handpicked for MasterCard cardholders, spoil yourself at mastercard.co.nz/privileges
- we protect your Debit MasterCard with Westpac Online Guardian – our market leading online security system. There are no special codes or gadgets to worry about just a single username and password chosen by you - easy.
- use your card at over 35 million locations worldwide
- view your account balance(s) 24/7 via ATMs or Online Banking
- use your Debit MasterCard to withdraw cash from overseas banks and ATMS displaying the MasterCard and Cirrus acceptance marks. Higher interest rates for cash advances and ATM fees may apply
- pay no overseas cash withdrawal fee (currently NZ$8) when withdrawing money from a Global Alliance ATM. See the ‘Fees’ tab for more information
Where you can use it
With a Debit MasterCard, you can pay for things in more places - and in more ways - than a standard ATM or Eftpos card.
|In New Zealand||Overseas||Online, phone or mail order purchases||Cash withdrawal at Eftpos|
|Westpac standard ATM/Eftpos card||Yes||Yes||Yes||Rarely||No||At retailer's discretion|
|Westpac Debit MasterCard||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||At retailer's discretion|
|Note: You can only access the available funds in your linked transaction account*. This may include any prearranged overdraft facility on the account. The hotpoints® reward scheme is not available on Westpac Debit MasterCard.|
Debit MasterCard / Debitplus Visa* fees
|Debit & Eftpos cards - Fees|
|Fee type||Fee amount|
|Annual fee||Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||no fee|
|Westpac Debit MasterCard or DebitPlus Visa*||$10 per card|
|Additional Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||no fee|
|Replacement card||$15 per card|
|Courier delivery in NZ/Overseas||Courier costs where applicable|
|Foreign currency fee When you use your Westpac ATM/Eftpos or Debit MasterCard to make an overseas transaction.||Westpac ATM/Eftpos card||2.50% of transaction amount|
|Westpac Debit MasterCard or DebitPlus Visa*||2.50% of transaction amount|
|Using an ATM overseas These fees do not apply when using ATMs within the Global Alliance Group in the respective country shown. Institutions participating in the global ATM alliance include Deutshe Bank 24 (Germany), Bank of America (United States), Scotiabank (Canada), Barclays Bank (United Kingdom), BNP Paribas (France), Westpac (Australia) and Westpac (New Zealand).
An ATM service fee may be charged by the ATM provider
|cash withdrawal||NZ$8 per transaction|
|balance enquiry||NZ$0.60c per transaction|
|declined transaction||NZ$0.60c per transaction|
*Effective 7 February 2014 DebitPlus Visa is no longer available for new debit card applications. Existing DebitPlus Visa cards will continue to be replaced with DebitPlus Visa cards as they expire or are lost / stolen until further notice.
The annual card fee is waived for:
- tertiary students who apply for a Debit MasterCard with their Student Pac (fee waived for the course of their student life)
- SuperGold Card holders (fee waived for the first year)
Who can get a Debit MasterCard?
To be eligible to apply for a Debit MasterCard, you must
- be 15 years of age or over**
- have an eligible Westpac transaction account to link to your card.*
Already using our Online Banking?
You can apply for a Debit MasterCard online. Here’s how:
- Login to Online Banking.
- On the ‘Welcome/account balances’ page from the left hand navigation bar, select 'Debit MasterCard' under 'I want a...'
- A new screen will appear, select 'Apply now'.
New to Westpac?
Find out more about your application options here.
Or download a Debit MasterCard application form and bring it to your nearest Wespac branch. Don't forget to bring:
- proof of ID and your current address click here for a list of acceptable verification documentation.
- your IRD number and your current Westpac bank account number(s).
Debit MasterCard Conditions of Use apply. Transaction and service fees on this page are current as at 31 March 2015 and are subject to change. Other charges may apply to some transactions and services mentioned – please refer to the all fees section of this website. hotpoints® is a registered trademark of Westpac. MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
*Eligible Westpac transaction accounts include: Electronic, Easy Access, Access, Earner, Choices Everyday, Business Transact, Business Interest or Agriline.
**To apply for a Debit MasterCard, you must be 15 years or older. For customers under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must complete a section of the application form and sign to accept the terms and conditions in person at a Westpac branch.